What Is A Home Inspector?Jul 23, 2022
So what is a Home Inspector?
You may not be familiar with what is a Home Inspector actually does, or what role they play in a real estate transaction.
So let's clear it up....
A Home Inspector is someone who provides a visual inspection of the major systems and components of a property.
The inspector also provides a written report documenting major defects and other important information observed during the inspection.
Inspectors are primarily looking for material or major defects that would:
- Affect the financial value of the propety
- Pose a safety risk or hazard to the occupants.
- Prevent the property from being properly insured
3 Common Misconceptions About Home Inspectors
- Home Inspections are "pass/fail: This is incorrect. Home Inspectors are not Building Code Insepctors, so the inspection is not based on local code requirements. An Inspector is often familiar with local building code standards, but most will refrain from quoting code in their report.
- Inspectors are Appraisers: Appraisers are looking to establish a financial value to the property, while a Home Inspector is observing and reporting on major defects withing the property. While both parties play an important role in real estate transactions, each has very different roles that serve different purposes.
- Inspectors Kill Deals: Often times, Realtors will label Inspectors as "Deal Killers." The truth is, most Inspectors do not care about the outcome of the Real Estate deal. We want the best for our clients who hired us. So if that means telling them about all the defects we found....Then so be it...even if it "kills a deal" for a Realtor
Overall, Home Inspectors are a special set of eyes that provide buyers with the information they need to make a decision on their major purchase.
Whenever you're ready, there are 3 ways I can help you:
1. If you've never considered a career as a Home Inspector, get the Home Inspector Workshop, it will outline everything you need to get Certified as an Inspector in any state.
2. Once you decide you want to be a Home Inspector, Inspector Flow ON DEMAND is a comprehensive Home Inspector Curriculum where you can learn at your own pace.
3. Inspector Flow LIVE: A Live 20 Week Session of Home Inspector school that teaches you the 10 Major Components, NHIE Test Prep, and Home Inspector Business Setup
Don't forget to check out The Inspector Flow Show: A Podcast for the New Generation of Home Inspectors
Join thousands of Home Inspectors and other Real Estate Professionals reading The Inspector Flow Blog!
We only send out entertaining, educational, and engaging Real Estate and Home Inspector related content.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared or abused.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.